Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tin Foil Dinners in the oven

I don't know about all of you..., but I love a good Tin Foil dinner.  So I was excited when my brother and his family figured out about how long to cook them in the oven. But this is an improvise type of recipe.  Sorry if you hate those type of things.

I'm also sorry I don't have pictures of this.  Maybe when I do it next I'll take pictures, but I make these on a day when I don't have much time for prep work for dinner, cause it doesn't take very long on the prep, but cooks for about 1-1.5 hr depending on your size of dinner.

We usually make 3-4 dinners for the 3 of us that eat and have lots of left overs cause we love them so much.

Ingredients (which can be changed to your preference along with amounts)
Hot Dogs,1-2/meal
Hamburger patties,1-2/meal
Potatoes, thinly sliced,1-2 medium/meal
Carrots, thinly sliced, I use baby carrots, 1-2 handfuls/meal
Onions, thinly sliced, 1/4/meal
Can of Cream of chicken soup
Montreal Steak seasoning
Lawry's seasoning salt
Salt and Pepper
Tin foil
Cookie sheet

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place large sheet of Tin foil down, and I cut 2 hot dogs lengthwise and place them on the tinfoil and place my hamburger patty on top. (My dad calls this the burnt sacrifice when you cook them on a real fire...meaning that the hot dogs can get burnt and it saves your hamburger patty:) For my husband I do 2 hamburger patties, cause he doesn't like hot dogs.  I don't mind hot dogs, and I love the flavor they add to the meal.
Then I season the meat with Montreal, Lawry's, salt, and pepper.
I cut all my potatoes, carrots, and onion in my Bosch food processor so they are evenly sliced.  And it's easy that way too.
I then put what amount of vegetables each person likes on the meats.
Distribute a few dollops of cream of chicken soup on top (this creates a gravy of sorts).  I use the entire can for 4 large dinners.
Then take the short ends of the tin foil and match them at center of the meal and then roll several times, then roll each edge of tin foil to close the meal and keep all the juices in!!
Cook for at least 1 hour-1 1/2 hrs depending on the size of the dinner.  The 2 hamburger patty meal take 1 1/2 hrs. Maybe cause they are a little larger.
Sometimes I put my hubby's meal in first and then after 30 minutes I put in mine.
Check to see if the veggies are cooked to desired softness and usually the meat is done by then.

No comments: