Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Basic chili

Jade, this one's for you -- I don't like to have "stuff" in my chili, so when I make it, it's very basic and very simple.

You'll need:
Kidney (red) beans
Water
Ground beef
Tomato sauce
Chili seasoning
Cumin

That's it. Since Cory likes "stuff" in his, I sometimes cook some peppers and add those to his chili, along with some stewed tomatoes. Ick.

Cook the beans -- this can be done in a crockpot or on the stove. The last time I made chili, I cooked them in my crockpot for a few hours, turned it off, and let them sit in the water overnight while I was sleeping. The next day, I turned the crockpot back on high, browned the hamburger meat (and I always use garlic salt), dumped it into the crock pot, added a couple of cans of tomato sauce, and some chili powder. I had a little packet of chili seasoning left (you get it in the isle with all the other packets, like taco seasoning). I didn't think it was enough, so I added some chili powder (found in the spice isle), and some cumin seasoning. I let it cook a couple hours, until everything was heated through. It tasted pretty good, if I say so myself.

Easy, easy, easy. I know you can do it :)

No comments: