Saturday, January 31, 2009

Gingered Chicken Dinner

This is another good recipe for two, but doubles well. I wouldn't say it makes the best leftovers, and if anyone knows how to alter the recipe to use regular rice, let me know!

1 1/2 cups orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground ginger (or less. My husband thought it was too spicy, but I liked it.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6 oz. each)
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup uncooked instant rice
1 cup (or more) frozen broccoli florets, thawed

In a bowl, combine first six ingredients. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add the chicken to the bag and turn to coat; refrigerate over night. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
Drain and discard the marinade from the chicken. In a skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in butter for 2-3 minutes on each side. In a greased 8 inch square baking dish (use a 9x13 if you are doubling the recipe), combine the rice with the reserved marinade; top with the chicken.
Cover and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Top with the broccoli; cover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear (or chicken temps at 170 with thermometer*).

* I always use a meat thermometer when I cook. I think it is the best kitchen tool I have. It has the right temperature for each type of meat written on the side, and cooking meat just enough and not too much makes all the difference in how a meal turns out.

No comments: