Now onto a very yummy cake that my cousin Allison made (and since you aren't posting it, Allison, I am going to). You guys who know me well know that I am not a "cake" person. But this one is yummy!
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs, separated into yolks and whites
3 cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extractDirections:
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees. Butter and flour 10 inch tube pan. Cut out wax paper to fit bottom of pan and slide into place (I never do the waxed paper part, and it always turns out fine.)
- In medium bowl, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed until thoroughly blended, about 5 minutes. Beat in yolks.
- In large bowl, combine sifted flour, salt and baking soda, sift 2 more times. Mix the extracts into sour cream. Alternately add flour and sour cream mixtures a little at a time, beginning and ending w/flour.
- In large clean bowl w/clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry peaks. Stir 1/3 of whites into batter until well combined. Fold in remaining 2/3 of whites. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake at 300 for 1 ½ to 1 ¾ hours or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.