Monday, July 28, 2008

Seven Can Soup

I wish I could take credit for this one, but it came from a friend. This meal takes only as long as it takes you to open and warm the contents of seven cans. It’s absolutely delicious. I recently served it at a family reunion and it was a hit.


Ingredients:

Can of chicken chunk (10 oz is about right)

Can of black beans (15 oz)

Can of corn (15 oz)

Can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (10 oz)

Two cans of chicken broth* (14-15 oz each)
*Last time I made it I used the new Winco brand of chicken broth – no good. It’s really strong and made the whole soup taste like chicken noodle. So I recommend the cheapest thing you can find that isn’t Hytop.)

Can of stewed tomatoes

You’ll notice I don’t have the stewed tomatoes in my photograph. That’s ‘cause my husband and I don’t like ‘em. But if you’re a fan of the stewed tomatoes, be my guest.

Drain the chicken chunk, the beans and the corn. Dump everything into a pot and heat it up. I let it simmer until I just can't stand it and I have to eat some. It's good with tortilla chips and sour cream.

While we love it just for our small family, this recipe is perfect for big groups -- family reunions, church socials, etc. Just add more cans of everything. I'd just say drop off a few cans of the broth if you make a really big batch. When I quadrupled the recipe for the family reunion this month, I should have used six or seven cans of broth, not the full eight. But it was still really good.

No comments: